Austin Cove Baptist College is committed to the following principles as outlined in the College aims, motto and core values. The College Affirmation is an amalgamation of these principles.
At Austin Cove Baptist College we are genuinely interested in the well-being of each student and our aim is to see students reach their full potential academically, physically and spiritually. It is our hope that every student will be exposed to a wide range of educational experiences whilst at the College. Students will be encouraged to use every opportunity to develop their skills and talents in a safe and caring environment.
Throughout their time at the College, students will be exposed to new challenges and new expectations will be placed upon them. It is important for students to receive a well-balanced education and to be challenged both within the classroom academically as well as outside the mainstream classroom. These opportunities and challenges are designed to build character and help to develop students for the world outside the College.
The College community is committed to the development of the whole person: physical, emotional, intellectual and spiritual. The College promotes a positive, supportive and cooperative environment that recognises and accepts individual differences.
The College aims to prepare each student to be a well balanced citizen with an enquiring mind, healthy body and spiritual awareness. The College recognises that not every student will move towards this goal at the same pace and they will have individual needs along the way. The College aims to be supportive for all students regardless of their race, gender, age, academic or social ability.
The staff at the College endeavour to ensure that students learn and develop in a safe environment, free from disruptive behaviour hindering their learning and progress. The fundamental right of every College community member to teach and learn free from distraction is upheld through the Behaviour Management System.
Staff are responsible for the development of teaching programs which are inclusive of varied learning levels and learning styles. Teachers are also responsible for the development of critical thinking skills amongst the students.
The establishment of a well defined Behaviour Management system is dependent on all members of the College community. Students are expected to behave in accordance with this system at all times and are constantly reminded of its basic tenets through the College Affirmation. A system of rewards for their positive behaviour is in place. Teachers are expected to uphold the Behaviour Management system and parents are encouraged through regular communication and feedback to work towards the same goals.
Austin Cove Baptist College identifies individual outcomes for students that include:
- Students are confident, self-reliant and independent
- Students are positive learners
- Students are educated in selecting appropriate behaviours
- Students are supported in selecting appropriate behavioural choices through strategies and structures including mentoring and counselling
- A clear set of guidelines is provided for dealing with student behaviour
- Regular communication with parents enables support from home as well as the College
- Restitution is an acceptable and appropriate behaviour choice
- Students understand that they are not targeted for poor behaviour choices and that one discipline has been applied, the matter is finished
- Students are given opportunity to learn to develop in their spiritual awareness
- Students are encouraged to develop their skills and talents through attempting new subjects and challenges
- Students are encouraged in their intellectual endeavours and are encouraged to strive for excellence in all that they attempt
- Students affirm the dignity and worth of all people regardless of gender, race, age or other differences
- Students strive to be inclusive and open in their dealings with others
The College is committed to excellence in all aspects of this vision. The College philosophy, where quality is not achieved by chance, anchors the writing and conduct of policies and procedures aimed at the achievement of providing a safe, caring and positive environment in which all students have the opportunity to develop physically, emotionally, intellectually and spiritually.
The College encourages hospitality as an action that values people not just as a social protocol. This practice of hospitality educates staff and students in the essential actions of courtesy and respect that should be extended not just towards outside visitors to the school but also to all members of the College community. Manners, respectful speech and courtesy are an expectation at the College and as such help to build a welcoming atmosphere and underpin many of the positive aspects of the College culture.
Work Hard: In school, smart kids do not always finish first. It often comes down to commitment and hard work. So we encourage students to remember to work hard.
Infuse Urgency: Most students only work hard a few days before a piece of work is due because that is when it becomes urgent. We teach our students to break work up into smaller pieces, infuse urgency into the small tasks and get the work done on time.
Never Give Up: Courage is not the absence of trials, it is the conquest of them. Winners are those who push through when times are tough – when everyone else is giving up. That is when success is the sweetest, so we encourage our students to never give up.